100 Research Paper Topics and How to Choose One to Write About
What is the hardest part of creating a compelling research paper? Despite common belief, writing is not the biggest challenge on your way to success. However, trying to come up with a good research paper topic can be more complicated than writing research itself.
When choosing a topic, students can encounter a variety of issues, including a lack of creativity, insufficient essay writing skills and experience, or a lack of research material on the chosen topic. These and other issues may get in your way, holding you back from creating genuinely engaging thesis topics.
How can you overcome these problems in the process of choosing a topic? In this article, we are going to give you some tips that will make the whole process easier, and share a list of 100 good research topics from our argumentative essay writing service.
How to Choose a Topic for a Research Paper
If you feel stuck with choosing a relevant and engaging topic, find a step by step guide that will help you generate interesting research topics with ease below:
1. Observing Your Interests
What really makes a research topic good is your genuine interest in it. Picking a topic that you are personally interested in can motivate you to do an in-depth study of it, and can make the whole writing process much easier.
Study your range of interests – break them down into separate topics and choose one that can create the most interest in terms of revealing the topic. If the topic is controversial, then it will be a good idea to define your point of view right away — to help refine the direction of your research.
Also, be sure not to pick research essay topics solely on what’s trending. While trending topics will definitely be relevant, the lack of interest can affect the overall quality of the work.
2. Make Sure You Have Enough Information to Write a Paper
If your genuine interest in a specific matter should be at the top of your priority list when choosing a topic, the availability of enough information should be your second highest priority.
Having a sufficient amount of materials to write your research paper is vital. Some of the resources you can look for are books, different scientific journals, online sources like blogs and websites, encyclopedias, etc. The more resources you can find, the easier it will be to create your own work.
The more specialized and newer the topic for research is, the less information you are likely to find on it. Therefore, choosing such a topic, you have to be ready to face certain challenges in the process of writing. However, this does not mean that you should opt for easy research paper topics. Keep in mind that a good topic should not be too simple nor broad.
3. Follow Your Teacher’s Guidelines
Last but not least, don’t forget to keep your teacher’s instructions in mind when picking a topic. The requirements and limitations may vary depending on your academic level and your teacher’s preferences, and you have to bear them in mind. Also, it is always a good idea to confirm your topic with your teacher before you start writing—if they think it might be a poor choice, they will likely give you some guidance and will appreciate that you asked regardless.
To give you some extra tips on the choice of a topic, here are the main features that characterize good topics for research papers:
- Relevance – the chosen topic has to be relevant for potential readers;
- Specificness – objectives (as well as expected results) of your study have to be focused and clear;
- Importance – a good topic should bring value and impact to your field of study—or the community as a whole;
- Trendiness – topics that are trending tend to spark more interest among readers due to their yet unexplored potential;
- Originality – it is important to focus your work on something that hasn’t been researched before to ensure scientific novelty and originality.
100 Examples of Interesting Research Paper Topics
Now that you know what a good topic should look like, let us give you some great research paper ideas to help you get on track. In the list below, you can find the top 100 interesting topics to research, selected by our team.
College Research Paper Topics
College students first face research paper writing assignments during the first year. These topics to write about will do for the freshmen!
- Tutor competency examinations VS degree requirements alone
- Separation of church & state against religion’s contribution to the public good
- Fairness to families who have to pay twice for education
- Drug & alcohol abuse among teenagers
- High rates of pregnancy among college girls
- The desire to commit suicide while studying in college
- A right to choose courses a student believes are important
- Ability to skip useless classes
- Reasons why young adolescents in the United States should adopt the British custom of running a “gap year” between high school & college
- College education and funding
High School Research Paper Topics
High school teachers do not assign research papers often. Still, explore this list of topics to write about to be on the wave! Use these as good research topics for middle school as well.
- Bilingual education compared to the traditional approach
- Policing public schools
- Permit corporal punishment
- Placement by age & placement by skills
- Students with disabilities should not be allowed to study with their healthy peers
- The problems associated with bullying in the US high schools
- Teacher’s demands against teaching being a service occupation
- Is no child left behind act working?
- Are standardized English tests efficient?
- What are the primary reasons for grade inflation?
Psychology Research Paper Topics for College Students
- Mental disorders, including self-harm and cutting
- Eating disorders in the US community & childhood obesity
- Tourette syndrome: Cause & effects
- Exercising on work time as the way to reduce the level of stress
- Common sleep disorders and ways to resist them
- How can a patient’s family help to deal with schizophrenia?
- What are the biological and psychological roots of sociopathy?
- Is electroshock a legal, effective method of treatment?
- Coma recovery on the mental level
- Describing the pros & cons of modern asylums
Science Research Paper Topics
A scientific study is the heart of any research paper. Discover the top recommended scientific ideas.
- Stem cells to play a crucial role in the medical treatment of various diseases
- Forensic science technology
- Discussing alchemy and the ways it has been implemented
- Obstacles faced by scientists in breaking the sound barrier
- Nuclear energy: Its opportunities & threats
- Technologies available to households to assist them in conserving energy
- The risks & possible adverse outcomes of using nuclear power
- How can registered nurses save babies born before 27 weeks?
- How does breastfeeding improve the infant’s health?
- Is screwing for breast cancer effective?
Religion & Literature Research Paper Topics
This list is for students who love reading. Let us help choose the best literature ideas to analyze?
- Reasons why the Bible should be viewed as literature
- The controversies concerning Shakespearean authorship
- The relationship between Dante and Virgil
- Exploring the Divine Comedy as the world masterpiece
- In-depth analysis of the unusual structure of A Winter’s Tale
- The religious significance of the Quran
- Compare Anna Karenina with Madame Bovary
- Dickens failed with writing a serious, romantic narrative in his novels
- A single true religion
- The metaphysical in Donne’s poetry
Argumentative Research Paper Topics
In argumentative writing, a writer should take a particular position. Choose a debate and think which side you support.
- Unborn victims of violence
- Scientific evidence VS definition of viability
- Reasons to support euthanasia in medical practice
- The Internet makes modern people smarter
- The federal government must regulate information available on the Internet
- Body language is what matters in dating most of al
- Congressional opposition to presidential filibusters
- People infected with HIV should receive free treatment
- Revoking drivers license: Necessity and interpretation
- Animal protection is more important than business needs
Good US History Research Paper Topics
Do you need history research topics for high school students that cover only the United States or the entire world? We have examples of both!*
- The Blackwell Companion to religion in the United States
- A revolution down on the farm of Northern America
- American agriculture: Its social history
- In the past lane: Historical Perspectives on the culture of the US
- The dynamics of American politics: Approaches & explanations
- Presidential campaigns & self-images
- The market revolution: Jacksonian US
- The battle cry of freedom: The Civil War epoch
- Yankees today: Immigrants from Europe
- The guide to the US females in the XIX century
Human Rights & Human Resource Paper Topics
Some of the research topics for high school students include those dedicated to our rights.
- Discrimination in the workplace is the most significant issue of some contemporary companies
- Diversity at the workplace
- Ways to motivate employees to work harder
- Whistleblowing and problems associated with it
- Key performance indicator (KPI): How it works
- Getting rid of stress at the workplace
- Benefit programs every business is obligated to provide
- The impact of wages on the productivity of employees
- Ways businesses can adequately protect their private information
- Strategies companies can use to hire qualified staff better
Law Enforcement Topics for Research Paper
Are you studying in a Law School? Are you attending MBA courses? In both situations, you will need a list of excellent topics on various regulations, legal cases, legislation, etc. Also, make sure to follow the Bluebook citation Guide.
- Racial discrimination: Reasons why people around the world feel the racial injustice
- The way gender discrimination affects law enforcement and regulations in place
- Things they must change to assist officers with getting to the scene of crime quicker
- Typical offenses committed by juveniles
- The impact of racial profiling on the riots
- Border patrol: How do people receive illegal substances into their states when crossing the border?
- Does the government contribute enough to guarantee community protection?
- How do they detonate explosive equipment?
- The amount of time necessary for the police officer to train
- Mass emergencies: Measures to be taken
Business Research Paper Topics
Students who are getting ready to obtain their Business Administration degrees should focus on the following topics:
- Making four generations getting on well with each other in the workplace
- Sticking to the principal regulations of the corporate law
- Features that define a true business leader
- Ensuring positive staff relationships
- Ways to represent shareholders in non-public companies
- Small business & taxation
- Crowdfunding & outsourcing: Contemporary financing techniques
- The advantages of running a small business
- Things that make young startups fail during the first couple of years
- Investing company’s assets into charity: Benefits
Let’s sum up how to choose a good research paper topic:
- Gather with other students, mates or family members to generate ideas. List each of them.
- Choose 3-5 most relevant concepts, read some general article about each of them to pick your favorite one and make sure there is related information you can use.
- Make sure the topic is manageable and narrow.
- Follow the guidelines specified by your tutor.
Picking the perfect topic for your research paper can be hard. To help you get on the right track, we have outlined 100 interesting research topic ideas. Hopefully this article will help you understand how to create a good topic.
Get help from our psychology essay service - order an essay on any topic you need.