Informative Essay Topics
There are so many ways of getting information now but how would you give information about a topic that you want to share with people? Giving information in an interesting way is what informative essay writing is all about. Whether it's your favorite movie, recapping an adventure, or reporting on something for school, an informative essay is an opportunity for you to describe something in detail and show your understanding of a subject. In this article, you will get a brief overview of informative essays, focusing on how to come up with a good topic, and receive a list of excellent informative essay topics.
What Is an Informative Essay?
An informative essay is a piece of writing with the goal of giving the reader in-depth information about a subject. The topics can be diverse, ranging from describing your last meal to writing a cause and effect essay about the connection between covid and mental health. The key thing to remember about an informative essay is that you should not present your opinion about the subject and there is no need for a subjective argumentation. An informative essay presents objective facts about a topic from multiple perspectives. All you need to do is present the information and let the reader draw their own conclusions.
Just giving information about a topic can seem really broad, which is why there are several types of informative essays.
A definition essay is one of the simpler forms of an informative essay. Its goal is to give the definition and background information about a specific subject or topic.
If you want to describe a concept, event, situation, or phenomenon, then you are writing a descriptive essay. The goal is to make the reader understand your experience as well as possible.
A compare and contrast essay is a more complicated form of an informative essay. In a compare and contrast essay, a subject is explored by analyzing how it is similar or different from a related concept.
A cause and effect essay is a type of informative essay that asks you to research and present information about how something came about or how it affected other things.
You can think about a process essay as a how-to guide. It describes in detail the steps of how to make something happen.
A narrative essay gives information about a personal experience. It is closely linked to storytelling, but it is based on subjective facts and personal anecdotes.
Almost any kind of essay can be considered an informative essay as long as its main goal is to provide the reader with information. As long as you do not use subjective opinions and do not try to persuade the reader about a specific viewpoint, it falls within the domain of an informative essay.
Regardless of the specific type of informative essay, the structure of all of them is generally the same. Most informative essays you will be asked to write will follow the typical five paragraph format of essay writing.
Your first paragraph will be the introduction. A good introduction paragraph starts off with a hook that captures the reader's attention. Next, it provides some background information about the topic. And finally wraps up the paragraph with a clear thesis statement.
Your next 3 paragraphs will be body paragraphs. This is the meat of your essay, where you put down all the information you have supporting your thesis. Each body paragraph should start with a topic sentence that explains what the paragraph will be about. The topic sentence should be a major point of information about the topic. The next few lines are where you state your information making sure to cite all your sources. Finally, you end a body paragraph with a sentence transitioning to the next paragraph.
Writing a good conclusion is one of the most difficult things to do because you have to tie together all the information you have presented in an interesting and engaging way. A good essay conclusion recaps all the main points of your essay, shows how things are interconnected, reminds the reader about the thesis statement, and poses some questions for the reader to ponder.
How to Choose Informative Essay Topics
Since informative essays can be so open-ended, coming up with a good topic can be a challenge. A topic that is too broad won't let you go into detail, but a topic that is too narrow might be difficult to research. Depending on your academic level and the audience for your essay, you will have to find a topic that is appropriate. Good informative essay topics follow the instructions, cater to the audience, should be important, and should be interesting. Let's dive deeper into the steps to choosing a good informative essay topic.
Go Over the Instructions Carefully
Make sure you understand the assignment. Consider what class it's for and whether your professor specified the kinds of topics you should write about. Check if they've mentioned a specific type of informative essay, and pay attention to word counts and the type of sources you should use. Informative writing can be a lot of fun, but you don't want to miss out on a higher grade because you didn't follow the instructions.
Think About Several Topics - Brainstorm
Once you're sure you know exactly what the assignment is and have an idea of what the teacher or professor is looking for, make a list of specific things within that subject that you enjoy. By choosing to write about something you enjoy you can make what could be a tedious assignment into a fun writing activity. There are unlimited topics for informative essays if you get creative with it. If the class is about economics, you can write about video game sales, social media monetization, or even describe your first lemonade stand.
Consider Your Audience
It can be easy to get carried away and choose a really fun topic, but you have to think about who the essay is for. Most likely the only person who will read your essay is your teacher, which means that you should choose a topic that they will appreciate. After all, the goal is not just to enjoy the assignment, but to get a good grade as well.
Make a Shortlist and Choose
You should now have 3 to 5 potential informative paper topics that you are interested in and fit the requirements of the task and the teacher. Do a quick Google search about each of the topics to see what kind of information is easily accessible and what the quality of the sources are. Choose a topic based on whether there is new and interesting information about it and based on the quality of the sources.
Congratulations! You should now have a good topic for an informative essay!
Good Informative Essay Topics
You should be able to come up with your own informative essay topics now, but here's a quick list of the key things to remember.
- Make sure you understand the assignment
- Choose topics that you are personally interested in
- Consider who you are writing the paper for
- Make sure the topic isn't too broad or too specific
- Only choose a topic that has interesting information available
- Choose a topic that has reputable sources reporting on it
As long as you choose the right topic, informative essays are really fun to write. To inspire you we have put together our list of the top informative essay topics for 2022 across a variety of categories.
Easy Informative Essay Topics
- What are the recent trends in the video game industry?
- Who is your role model and why?
- What are the greatest challenges to cryptocurrency?
- How has the role of women in the workplace changed in the last hundred years?
- What does it mean to be an ambivert?
- Make a guide on how to create a viral Tik-Tok video.
- What are the top three vacation destinations you would recommend to others?
- What are the benefits of going to college?
- What are the origins of the science fiction genre?
- What is the impact of reality television shows on teenagers?
- What are the best TV shows to binge on in 2022?
- What was your experience traveling abroad for the first time?
- What is the relationship between calories and fat?
- How do online companies make money?
- What is the physics behind a bicycle?
- What are some of the possible ways the pyramids were built?
- What will the James Webb Telescope show us about the universe?
- How to make the tastiest meal from leftovers.
- How can you make money from NFTs?
Informative Essay Topics for Middle School
- Describe your favorite superhero from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Why are field trips an excellent way to learn about a topic?
- Are there any benefits to online learning?
- Describe your favorite time period in history.
- What was your worst travel experience?
- Describe the life of your favorite world leader.
- How do plants convert sunlight into energy?
- What are the origins of your favorite sport?
- Why the beach is the best vacation spot.
- What is the difference between a crocodile and an alligator?
Informative Essay Topics for High School Students
- Why are Cyber Sports now considered Sports?
- What impact does regular exercise have on the human body?
- Describe the life of a religious leader from a different religion.
- What was your last experience at a concert?
- How does one country's economy affect another country?
- How will nanotechnology affect fashion and the clothing industry?
- What are some of the most fun things to do with a drone?
- What is the difference between socialism and communism?
- How to keep your personal information secure online.
- What are the steps to monetizing social media?
Informative Essay Topics for College Students
- What are some of the best ways of dealing with stress?
- What are the negatives of legalizing marijuana?
- The history of veganism in other countries and cultures.
- How do advertisers use psychology to influence potential customers?
- What is the process of setting up your own company?
- How are new art movements started?
- How scientists use linguistics to trace the migration of ancient humans.
- What did Charles Darwin learn in the Galapagos Islands?
- What is the difference between your first and second year of college?
- Describe the political system in a foreign country.
Some More Informative Essay Topics Ideas
- How has covid-19 and lockdowns impacted the rate of marriages in developing countries?
- What would happen if a 5-mile wide asteroid hit the Earth?
- How does fresh fish come to your table if you live far away from water?
- How do the flora and fauna of an island differ from life on the mainland?
- What are the main factors that decide whether a country goes to war?
- How does the increasing popularity of plastic surgery amongst young people impact self-esteem?
- What can any single individual person do to make the Earth a cleaner place?
- What can you learn about different cultures by watching their movies and television shows?
- What are the best ways of helping impoverished children in third-world countries?
- Choose a year in history and describe what was happening in different countries.
An informative essay is an opportunity for you to share your passion for something that you find interesting. Writing an essay can be boring, but if you choose the right informative essay topic it will be a fun experience. Just remember not to get too carried away and think about the instructions as well as the class and teacher you are writing the essay for. There are tons of informative topics to write about, the only limit is your creativity in coming up with something you find interesting.
You should now know what an informative essay is, its structure, and how to choose an appropriate topic. Take inspiration from the list of topic ideas in this post, and have a look at a few essay samples to get an idea of what an informative essay should look like. Good luck!