Process Analysis: How to Write a Process Analysis Essay
Writing a process analysis essay sounds like a problematic task to do, but in reality, it’s just another writing assignment. In this article, our college essay writing service will explain how to write a process analysis essay, list some process analysis essay topics and give you useful writing tips and examples. But first things first — let’s start with a process analysis definition.
What Is a Process Analysis Essay?
Before jumping to the How To section, let’s answer the question of what is process analysis. Process analysis is an essay which explains how something is done, how something occurs, or how something works. In this type of essay, the writer is required to present the steps of the process in sequential order, from first to last. All concepts or terms that might appear uncommon are defined.
When writing a process analysis essay about becoming a better person, you count and describe some actions — from small to bigger ones — like lifting peoples’ self esteem around you when you were young, to becoming a motivational speaker when you’re older.
Sometimes, your professor will assign you a process analysis topic. And sometimes, you will have to pick a topic by yourself.
You should also read the article on discursive essay format. It will help expand your understanding in writing any type of paper.
Process Analysis Essay Structure
Process essays may be divided into two categories: informative and directive. A directive process analysis gives instructions on how to accomplish a certain goal (for example, how to prepare the best waffles). An informational process analysis essay describes a topic to the reader (for example, how an aircraft engine functions). A process essay may be written in three easy steps:
- Split the task
The workflow should be broken down into simple, well-defined phases that generally maintain a temporal sequence and have a clear objective. You can better arrange the document with a process paper outline.
- Make smooth transitions
A process analysis essay remains more engaging when you use transitional terms—the audience benefits from phrases like - therefore, subsequently, afterward, etc.
- Study the essay thoroughly
Inspect any potential gaps, such as missing ingredients from a recipe, by going through the process essay point by point.
How to Pick a Process Analysis Essay Topic
Imagine you need to describe something in steps: what would they be? Don’t rush with making a final decision and try to rationalize your choice by following our recommendations:
- Pick a topic you have a good understanding of.
- Choose a theme that will involve the readers.
- Focus your topic on a specific thing.
- Make sure you can explain your topic without pictures. Focus on words.
- Ensure that the topic is helpful and has practical worth.
- Your topic must be relevant. If you decided to write about using a pager, we suggest you rethink your idea.
It’s okay if you don’t have a lot of process analysis essay topics in mind; just focus on the writing process and pick one of the ones we’ve prepared for you below.
Process Analysis Essay Topics
Example essay topics in process analysis include:
- How to pray;
- How to get promoted;
- How to get prepared for college interview;
- How to prevent disease;
- How to set up a campsite.
Writing a Process Analysis Essay Step-By-Step
Process analysis essay structure is as follows:
Let's overview that structure in more details:
- The introductory part should explain the actual process and why it’s relevant or necessary. Avoid any unnecessary information such as the background, history or origin. If for instance, a recipe needs tomato sauce, the reader should be informed so. In other words, go directly to the issue and provide only the necessary information.
- The next paragraph should present a list of all the equipment, tools or resources necessary for the particular process. For instance, if some ingredients cannot be found in the locality, explain where you can find it, or them. Potential risks or side effects that are likely to occur in the process should be stated so that the reader remains informed. Furthermore, it is essential to inform the reader about what might go wrong and what can be done to avoid potential mistakes.
- Then, outline the process in sequential order. If the process requires some steps to be undertaken at particular stages, these should be stated and explained clearly, at relevant points in the sequence. The writer should be very keen to avoid confusion. For processes that appear complicated, the steps should be subdivided accordingly. Additionally, the writer needs to vary their use of transitional words such as “after”, “then”, “next” to make sure the essay does not become repetitive.
- The final part should present a general review of the whole process so the writer can reinforce the main points succinctly, without details.
You can also read the essay example from our essay writer. If you still need help, contact us and we will do everything in the best way.
Process Analysis Essay Outline
The structure for this type of analysis essay outline is as follows:
- Introduce your topic and briefly outline what the process will achieve.
- Demonstrate where this process is relevant or when it is useful.
- It’s a good idea to offer a real-world example of the outcome of the procedure.
- The processes should be presented in paragraphs.
- Perform each step in its section.
- Appropriate transitions should be employed for each step.
- Be descriptive in your presentation.
- In your conclusion, summarize the procedure. You don’t have to repeat all the individual steps, but you need to reinforce the main points and milestones.
- Describe the expected result.
- Appropriate Use of Language and Vocabulary
Making good use of vocabulary and technical terms can often make or break an assignment. This impacts the degree of depth and clarity the reader can get out of it. Thus, if your audience is meant to be doing the procedures while reading, the steps should be simple and to the point.
- Give the Reader a Sense of Direction
When including comments in your essay that are tailored to give a sense of direction, like “once that’s done” or “wait until”, it’s best to do so where relevant. Try to avoid over-complicating the steps, while keeping everything clear and concise.
- Use Chronological Progression
For example, if it’s a cooking recipe, it should always include the steps in sequential order, while also indicating how much of each ingredient to add. Additional information like cooking techniques can be added at the end—to be as detailed as necessary.
Need a hand? Leave us a notice 'write my dissertation' and we'll help asap.
Video Guide: How to Write a Process Analysis Essay
Process Analysis Essay Examples
Referring to an example can save you time. Our free samples can provide insight into what a process analysis essay should look like.