Have you ever seen an episode of How It’s Made? That’s an informative essay in video format.
Informative writing is a basic communication skill. Students practice it since middle school to clearly explain concepts, ideas, how things work, histories, and more. As you’ll learn from our list of 150 good informative essay topics, this type of essay can be about anything.
Informative essays are academic papers which inform, explain, or teach the reader any information. They could be:
- Research Papers
- Compare and Contrast Essays
- Descriptive Essays
- Expository Essays
- Narrative Essays
In this article, we provide 150 informative essay topics which you may use for reference. Feel free to grab any of these topics for yourself!
Head to EssayPro.com if you need personalized academic help.
- Informative Essay Structure
- How To Choose a Topic
- List of The Topics
How to Structure Informative Essay: Piece of Advice
Always create an outline first, as it will guide you in your writing. Every essay has an introduction, body, and a conclusion. Your informative essay should be structured in a way that best supports your flow of information.
When a reader picks up your essay, you have about fifteen seconds to grab their attention and tell them exactly what they’re about to read. A good introduction with a solid hook and thesis will keep the reader engaged throughout your essay.
After greeting your reader and inviting them to participate in your informative essay, it’s time to serve them with facts.
There are usually three body paragraphs within an academic essay, each with a single argument or focus. The argument (or focus) is clarified to the reader through a topic sentence, which appears at the start of each paragraph.
Since readers hardly believe in facts without evidence (and rightly so), the essay writer must present trustworthy sources to clarify where they’ve gotten their information.
To wrap it all up, we have the essay conclusion. After reading a lengthy informative essay, the reader needs to refresh all the information they’ve just learned. That’s why you’ll find that most conclusions briefly repeat the thesis statement and every topic sentence of the essay.
How to Choose Excellent Informative Essay Topics
Informative essays are mostly how to’s and how it works. Your professor will expect you to delve into the intricacies of your subject; explore it to the fullest. That’s why you should go with a topic you find interesting.
Finding topics might be tough. But thankfully, the internet can present a variety of ideas for inspiration.
Below are a few safe bets of how to choose an informative essay topic without it being boring:
Still out of inspiration to come up with your topic? We’ve got you covered. Here’s a list of informative topics to write about.
Good Informative Essay Topics
The reader always seeks to learn something new from an informative essay. That’s why the “How X Works” formula is a safe bet for good informative essay topics. It’s a simple way to explore a concept in depth.
- How cars (or to be more modern: electric cars) work
- How does vinyl work
- How computers work
- How democracy works
- How communism was supposed to work according to Marx
- How a company like Facebook operates
- Several ways of how media (videos, photos, memes, songs) go viral
- How the voting system in America works
- How caffeine, alcohol, or sugar works on the human body
- Anything with “How X Works” will be a great informative essay topic!
Interesting Informative Essay Topics
From social problems to innovations - there are many exciting things to discuss in your academic papers. You want to grab the reader and keep them engaged. Here are a few engaging and, informative essay topics:
- Inform the reader on how war directly affects civilian life
- Inform on the circumstances which lead to drug & substance abuse among teenagers
- Explain which significant factors led to the civil rights movement of the 60s
- Illustrate how internet traffic generates profit for major corporations
- Explain how meditation works on the human brain
- Pick a religion. Distinguish its casual followers from extremists
- Explain why it is crucial to support cultural developments in your hometown
- Explain to the reader how to use the Bible to interpret classical art
- The history of tourism
- The history of cinematography in the US
Informative Essay Topics for Middle School
Middle school is the bridge between elementary & high school. It’s an exciting period of life. Young students should consider covering simple topics in their middle school essays:
- Proof that grounding kids are wrong
- How computer-animated characters are made
- A narrative-informative essay about a lesson learned during summer
- Pre-psychology. Understanding pet peeves and how they work
- The impact of celebrities or role models on youth
- The science behind the ollie: how skateboarding works
- The history of waking up to school at 7 am
- How Martin Luther King Jr changed America
- Why Bob Dylan is the greatest living poet
- How fashion trends changed in the last few decades
Informative Essay Topics for High School Students
High school is an exciting time full of new experiences and growing up. High schoolers are faced with more pressing issues as they prepare for college life. Here are some informative essay topics for high school students:
- The false promises of college: how most colleges only care for your money
- How great leaders are those who challenge the status quo
- Ways to prevent mass murders in the US schools
- High school bullying unmasked and how to stop it
- The history of the school system and a brief glimpse into the future
- A summary of Howard Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States and why it should be taught in school
- What makes students outcasts?
- What makes a political system corrupt?
- The dangers of Googled advice - how bots write articles with false information
- How to colonize Mars
Informative Essay Topics for College Students
College may the time of your life. But it doesn’t come without challenges. It’s when coursework gets harder, social life becomes less important, and the library becomes your best friend. Here are some informative essay topics for college:
- The importance of public speaking 101 explained
- How pubs and nightclubs target and exploit college students
- The pros and cons of studying abroad
- The statistics of whether college education guarantees financial success
- Social media and the decline of critical thinking
- How to analyze abstract expressionism art
- How much does college cost? The cost of college examined
- The benefits of a Liberal Arts Major
- Compare and contrast: living on campus and renting a room
- History of Ivy League colleges
Informative Essay Ideas on Sports & Health
More people support healthy lifestyles with every year. Sports & Health are an ever-expanding category for informative essay ideas:
- Why the super bowl is such a big event in America
- Explain why cybersports should also be considered sports
- Sports betting and how it works. Should it be legal?
- The history of football
- Illustrate how running every day improves overall health
- The experienced referee explained: the unnamed hero of sports
- How protein shakes and vitamin supplements work
- A history of doping in sports
- Explain chess in regards to why it is a sport
- Explain how the ‘Organic Foods’ trend originated
Informative Paper Topics on History & Political Science
History presents some of the best informative essay topics because it is a very informative subject. Keep in mind that exploring the history and political science can be complicated as there are many sources with different opinions:
- The causes and effects of Spanish colonization
- How the scars of World War I led to World War II
- The impact of racism on the criminal situation in America
- What are socialism and the centralized system
- How does the US government function?
- What is the role of the UK Prime Minister?
- What are some of the most thinkers in the world of politics?
- Pick a totalitarian ruler and explore their mentality and how they make their decisions
- Responsibilities of the Secretary of State in the US
- The history of women’s rights in Europe
Informative Essay Topic Ideas on Religion
You should be very careful when selecting a religious issue to discuss in your paper as it is a sensitive subject. In your writing, you should show respect for all the world’s religions. Anyway, here are some of the topics that you may enjoy:
- The Roman Catholic clerical organization: origins & history
- Jewish Kabbalah and esoteric mystical customs & traditions
- Crusades in the middle ages and the impact it had on peoples interpretation of religion
- Fanatic religious movements that are dangerous for humanity
- The gap between Christianity and Satanism
- Religion as the most powerful tool to control masses
- Special clothing to be baptized in: necessary or not?
- The world's newest major religion: Agnosticism
- Earth divinity dogmas and their roots
- A modern explanation of the 10 Commandments
Informative Paper Topics for Business Classes
Business administration is becoming a more and more demanded degree around the world. It covers management, marketing, economics, and much more. If you need to prepare a project for any of those courses, think about using one of the following ideas:
- Why Thomas Edison was a successful entrepreneur and not an inventor
- Starting a career on Wall Street: 70s vs. now
- Jeff Bezos: how to be a successful company CEO
- How Henry Ford changed how factories worked
- The psychology of social media marketing: how targeting works
- Hotel management: how the world’s best hotels get their clients
- How to earn money with the help of services like eBay
- Launching an e-commerce project
- How the economic crisis unfolded
- Cybersecurity in modern entertainment corporations: how Disney controls its leaks
Science & Medicine Informative Ideas
Science and healthcare are interrelated fields. Whenever there’s a significant development in one, the other is affected as well. When getting ready for your upcoming science or medicine lesson, consider these possible research questions:
- Treatment of diseases using nanobots
- Adverse consequences of plastic surgery
- Why Vitamin C is so important
- How improper eyesight can alter the brain
- How viruses infect humans
- History of diseases: previously deadly, now common diseases
- How nanotechnology is evolving in the field of medicine
- Importance of minerals in the human organism
- Comparing & contrasting bulimia and anorexia
- Appropriate morning exercises to stay in a good shape
Environmental Essay Topics
Discussing the environment is always relevant in academic writing. Our apathy towards the situation has led to global warming, forest fires, extinction of species and more. Here is a list of environmental essay ideas:
- How forest fires start and spread
- How to prevent soil erosion
- The impact of poaching on wildlife
- How a single person can work against global warming
- How the air can be cleansed from pollution
- How whales help clean ocean pollution
- The connection between global warming and natural disasters
- Various types of tropical birds
- Australian animals under the threat of extinction
- If the ice melts: Earth post-global warming predictions
Informative Essay Topics for Communications, Media Studies and Arts
The communications major is broad and includes journalism, music, cinema, and media studies. There are many popular essay titles to choose from:
- How outcasts become rock stars
- How Facebook has changed the way we communicate
- Blade Runner: why this film is remarkable in environmental education
- The British Invasion: history and impact
- The origins of hip-hop culture
- Exploring Neoclassicism cinema in Italy
- Journalism in the era of fake news
- How to look at a cubist painting
- Marshall McLuhan’s relevance in today’s media ecosystem
- European Union Article 13: The Meme Ban and its impact on the internet explained
Informative Process Analysis Essay Topics
An informative paper on process analysis can be educational and captivating. It’s like a how-to guide on various subjects. Here are some informative process analysis essay topics:
- How to launch a business campaign on Facebook
- Cacio Pepe: The most feared pasta of Italian cooks and how to make the perfect one
- Raising a dog: facts and myths
- For future detectives: How killers get away with murder
- How a smartphone works
- How Bitcoin works
- The captivating creative writing formulas used in the Harry Potter franchise
- How Elon Musk’s ‘gigafactories’ are meant to function
- A brief guide to how corporations sell products
- How and when to use the Heimlich maneuver
Easy Informative Essay Topics
Sometimes a simple topic is all it takes! These are easy, informative essay topics because there is an endless amount of information available on them online:
- A guide to proper diets
- A topic on the gun control debate in the United States
- A topic on abortion laws in the United States
- The pros and cons of legalizing Marijuana in a specific state or country
- Several ways to quit smoking
- Exploring how teens engage in addictive behavior
- A history of the counterculture movement of the 1960s
- A brief look at Native American culture and traditions
- The pros & cons of remote education
- What started World War II
Funny Informative Essay Topics
Academic life can be hard. But there’s always room to lighten up the mood with funny essay topics:
- How to cheat on an exam
- How to fail a good deal
- How humans are little different from monkeys
- Why smoking marijuana can help you study
- What does a school principal do
- Funny and ridiculous types of sports in the world
- The statistically best excuses for missing class
- How to make a quality meme
- Why music is a useless subject in school
- How to make a viral video
We hope that you found this list of informative essay topics useful. If you need to download essay samples for further reference, feel free to drop a note for our writers.
Need More Help?
EssayPro is an academic writing service helping students all over the globe. We can help you edit your draft or write an essay from scratch. Whether it’s an informative or persuasive essay - count on us to handle any task.
With us, you can get quick essay help online on any subject. We employ only professional writers and allow you to make unlimited edits until your essay is perfect — this way we stand out from competition regarding quality and reliability.
If you need true professionals to handle your task - head to EssayPro.com.