One of the hardest steps to complete when starting any essay is figuring out what topic you will be writing about (unless it’s preassigned.) Commonly, students are tempted to write about something they have great passion towards or are genuinely interested in. Though there is never a correct answer about choosing the best topic, there are filters to use when brainstorming ideas. After having plenty of writing experience, it becomes apparent that certain topics fit better with specific categories than others; this means that your point of discussion should be chosen only AFTER knowing the type of essay you have to create.
- College Essay Topics
- Essay Topics By Category
- Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- Argumentative Essay Topics
- Narrative Essay Topics
- Research Essay Topics
- Informative Essay Topics
- Expository Essay Topics
- Definition Essay Topics
- Descriptive Essay Topics
- Process Essay Topics
- Personal Essay Topics
- Persuasive Essay Topics
College Essay Topics
Writing a good college admission essay is crucial to increasing one’s chances of being accepted to a first-choice university! This type of essay requires a student to express themselves in a way that portrays their character. Alongside that, colleges want to know what makes each applicant unique, so it is important to present some of your best or most intriguing traits. With these objectives in mind, here are five college essay topics that will help guide you towards that acceptance letter!
- Talk about a trait that makes you unique? Did it come from nature or was sculpted from hours of practice?
- What one accomplishment are you most proud of? Why specifically that one?
- Describe something you are deeply passionate about. How was that fire ignited and how did it grow?
- What challenge or setback brought forth a period of large growth? Describe the experience and the lessons you took from it.
- Talk about a long-term goal you have set. Why did you set it and how do you plan on fulfilling it?
Essay Topics By Category
As stated earlier, the topic of choice for your essay depends entirely on the style of essay you write. That being said, there are various essay styles that every student should know, and they can be broken down into four main groups.
Persuasive Writing (Group 1) - This essay type asks the writer to pick and defend a point of view on a certain position. Argumentative, research and persuasive essays fit into this category.
Expository Writing (Group 2) - This group is all about presenting facts and informing the reader on some topic or idea. Cause & Effect, Research, Informative and Expository essays fit into this category.
Descriptive Writing (Group 3) - This style asks the author to unleash their inner artist by lively vocabulary and coherent idea flow to explain an idea, describe a concept, etc. Definition and Descriptive essays fit into this category.
Narrative Writing (Group 4) - This less common but still certainly present style requires the author to tell a story or explain a process (something with a chronological order.) Narrative, Process, and Personal essays are seen into this category
Here are some good essay topics for the most common style varieties:
Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- Do adult-rated video games provoke violence in society?
- What effect does social media have on an individual’s interpersonal skills?
- Does isolationism gateway certain people towards drug-addiction?
- What are the main causes and effects of global warming?
- Does learning a new language improve overall cognitive ability?
Good Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should the death penalty be abolished nationwide?
- Would the legalization of marijuana help or hinder societies productivity?
- Has society become too dependent on technology?
- Is it economically intelligent to lease a vehicle, rather than just buy it?
- Should production and distribution of tobacco be illegal?
Narrative Essay Topics
- Talk about an adventure of a lifetime.
- Describe a scene in which you became a champion.
- Create and develop a story that illuminates the importance of honesty.
- Describe a scenario in which the pen acts with more might than the sword.
- Build a tale that shows the innocence of luck and its effect on people.
Research Essay Topics
- Do college graduates deserve to make more money than non-grads?
- In what ways can technology hinder society?
- Should medical care become more affordable?
- Should college education be paid for by the government, in return for higher taxes?
- What long lasting effect does depression leave on our bodies?
Informative Essay Topics
- Should laws for illegal immigrants be more or less strict?
- What steps can we as a society take to minimize the effects of racism?
- What is the best way to handle the music censorship situation?
- Will cryptocurrency become an essential component of the world's economy?
- Why do we procrastinate? What steps can we take so as to get out of our own way?
Expository Essay Topics
- What can you do to save money as a student in college?
- What are the most important things to look for when buying a new car?
- What criteria should you use to help you decide between Apple and Microsoft?
- What is sociology? How can we use this subject to better society?
- What is the placebo effect? What has it told us about medicine today?
Definition Essay Topics
- What is love? How do you know if you’re in love?
- What is bravery? What are some examples of brave acts?
- In your opinion, what is happiness all about?
- What makes a person in beautiful?
- What is your definition of success?
Descriptive Essay Topics
- Describe a childhood memory that is burned into your mind.
- Describe the scariest nightmare you have ever had.
- Describe the culture shock of moving to a different country.
- Describe the feeling of graduating from college.
- Describe the scenario in which you had your first kiss.
Process Essay Topics
- Describe the process of baking a cake.
- Explain the process of mastering a skill.
- What steps must a player go through so that they can properly curve a soccer ball?
- Explain the process of learning how to code.
- Explain the steps necessary to do well on a certain test, presentation, paper, etc.
Personal Essay Topics
- What makes you unique from most people? How can you use those traits to be the best possible version of yourself?
- Talk about a time that you overcame a fear? What was the fear and how did you beat it?
- Explain a situation in which life pulled a switcheroo on your? How did you react?
- What is your favorite movie? Why is that movie specifically your favorite?
- Talk about an addiction you struggled to overcome. What made it so hard?
Good Persuasive Essay Topics
Although persuasive and argumentative essays may sound like the same exact thing, they do have one distinct difference. What separates persuasive essays from argumentative ones is the type of reasoning they use to defend their point of view. While argumentative essays tend to rely on logic and statistics to make their point, persuasive writing is all about convincing through emotions and morality. Having said that, both of these writing styles could discuss similar topics. The difference comes from the methodology used to make their point. Anyways, here are five good examples.
- Is one's sexual orientation a choice or a predetermined natural belief?
- Should students in the USA start learning a second language at a younger age?
- Should gun laws be more strict for young adults (Under the age of 25)?
- Should the USA cut its military spending?
- Are punishments for DUI’s fair? Is the sentencing too rough?
Struggling To Come Up With A Good Essay Topic?
Sometimes, even after understanding what essay types go with which topics, it can be difficult to settle down on one topic. Here at EssayPro we believe that patience is a virtue. Talk to an essay writing expert today to get help with selecting a suitable essay topic, alongside assistance with formatting and outlining. Our experts will help you narrow down your ideas and make sure that you pick one you are most comfortable with.
Don’t let the topic stop you from writing a great essay; get help with EssayPro today!